Friday, July 1, 2011

Update for new project - 1 July 2011

I am back with an update. My new year project - officially called Mirabilis 2011 - has begun! To this date, I have successfully germinated my globe amaranth (Gomphrena globosa). I can already see a few small red seedlings smiling at me. How exciting! I can really hear my heart flutter at the sight of such a wonderful miracle of nature! Besides my G. globosa, more choy sum seedlings have emerged as well. The truth is, some of these choy sum seedlings were sown when the G. globosa seeds did not germinate at the start. Now that they have, I am much relieved. Nevertheless, they are still seedlings as we speak; more time will definitely be needed for them to establish themselves.

Other than sowing seeds, I am also starting on some herbs through cuttings. One such herb to mention would be Sage. I bought the fresh cuttings from Cold Storage today. It will be some kind of experiment to determine which soil mix would be beneficial or more superior for the rooting process for sage. Of course, the results would be biased towards my corridor environment (my mini garden is situated at the corridor, in case you are wondering). There are two sets of mix I am using: the first being tref compost mix with perlite; the second being tref compost mix with garden soil. I just hope, with my fingers crossed, the sage cuttings would even root in the first place. More updates coming up soon. Watch this space.

No comments: