Friday, August 20, 2010

My first real project of 2010 - Update 1

This is my first update and I've got both good news and bad news to share. Let's start with the bad news first. Woe betide me, 1 day after I made the post on the project, the fledging cosmo died on me. It had been growing fine for weeks, well, until that fateful day. Most disheartening a thing to happen, it seems that I have to start from scratch all over again.

On the brighter side, my kale seedlings are showing their true leaves, albeit a little slowly I may add. Perhaps the amount of sunlight or nutrients is limiting its growth somehow; according to the information on the packet, it should take approximately 45 days to mature but judging from the looks, I suppose a longer time will be needed for me to see the flowers. Actually, to link this phenomenon back to Biology, this slow growth is known as the lag phase. In this phase of the development model, there will be minimal change in the length or mass of the subject in question and this can be measured accordingly. However, that does not really have anything to do with this post now, does it. I apologise for the digression. My point of stating the lag phase, really, is to correlate what result I have yielded at this moment with what I have learnt and also, to follow up with the log phase, a period associated with a spurt in growth. Normally accompanying the lag phase, the log phase is what I am anticipating now. Indeed, I am looking forward to a profusion of growth from the kale seedlings. With so much anticipation building up, I really hope the log phase will come soon.

More updates to come.


Seedling slightly revealing the first true leaf

A better close-up of the true leaf

I didn't really notice this before. After looking at the pictures carefully, I have come to realise that the first two leaves of the seedlings are cordate. What love!

No comments: